What are the specific objectives of the project and what are the instruments used to achieve them?:
The concrete objectives of the project are:
- to become aware of their own culture and other European cultures
- to develop knowledge and respect for the diversity of European countries by searching on the cultural identity of their region, country and of Europe
- to promote each pupil’s cultural identity in their own region, country and in Europe
- to get tolerant by comparing and reflecting on the results of the different projects
- to broaden minds and convey knowledge of European countries during presentations to the children, teachers, parents and local community
- to produce commonness by working on the same topics
- to break up and overcome the usual barriers and stereotypes
- to become an active and open-minded European citizen
Subjects The focused subjects we intend to address are geography, history, arts, physical education (dancing), ICT and language. Furthermore the children will develop competences in presenting, promoting, teamworking, reflecting and evaluating. While working on this project, the children can discover and be creative, useful and tolerant part of the European society.
Approaches During the project the children work in teams on different topics. They will be assisted by teachers and/or parents from their school. They make studies of their own area, country and on E.U., they find out about olden time jobs, famous characters and well-known monuments of their area and make a powerpoint-presentation. The children will write legends and create a virtual book on the common website. According to the legends, they will create pictures or sculptures which will be showed in an exhibition. The children will wear traditional clothes and will dance traditional dances, which will be filmed and published on the website. Traditional games will be played and described on the website, so that children from other countries can try these games themselves. Parents, children and teachers will cook traditional food and prepare a common meal. Recipes will be published on the website. The teachers will advance in their ICT-competence while communicating via email, skype and working on the common website. Furthermore the pupils will gather their know-how of reading, writing, speaking and being by using the website. Local communities will follow the progress through articles, internet, tv and radio. This project is based on pupil’s activities, by which they will be able to experience their own culture as well as the other cultures.