Printer-friendly version Send to friend
"My very special wondertree" is an eTwinning Project between very special schools in Europe (Germany, Netherlands, Greece, Portugal, Poland, England, Scotland, Belgium, Estonia and Austria).
The main contents are:
- to discover a special tree around the school with all senses
- to present this tree to all other partners on a website (www.wondertree.wikispaces.com)
- to edit the trees with picture editing programms (paint, photoshop...) and make creative artworks, which are presented on the artgallery on www.wondertree.wikispaces.com
- to send seeds of every tree to all partners and grow up a little "European Wood" in every school.
1. Project summary
This is our third eTwinning-Project together and the main aim of every project was to bring Europe in our very special classes and let our children with special needs learn about it with all senses.
"My very special wondertree" was another step to reach this aims, in addition the children learned to handle new skills (picture editing programms).
It was great to see the high motivation of the children, their enthusiasm about the success.
2. Country (City / Region)
3. Company/organization/institute presenting the project
Schule Rogatsboden - special school for special children
4. Type of organization
5. Project coordinator
The website of the project:
7. Please select the category in which you candidate your project
Youth Education Project. Select Project Users by age:
Helping youth step in the job market:
NOT Helping youth step in the job market
Creativity and Social Innovation:
Creativity and Social Innovation
8. How long has your project been running?
9. Targets and Elements of Innovation
Please explain the targets and the background of your project:
For our project we wanted to connect an ecological issue with ICT - and this all of course prepared for the special needs of our students. As most project - partners know each other yet because of the two former eTwinning-projects (see
www.specialchildren.wikispaces.com) the children knew already many things about the countries of their partners. So we decided to work on a special issue - our special tree. Every school made school-projects, where the tree (and sometimes also other trees) have been treated in every possible way and of course with all senses (informations about the different activities are on the project website).
Then we prepared informations about our trees for all other partners and put them on the website.
The next activity has been to learn to handle picture editing programs (paint, photoshop...) and then the children created their very, very special wondertrees for the artgallery on the website. Their creativity has been boundless.
The third step was to send seeds of our trees to each other and now we all try to grow up our little European Woods.
What does it try to achieve and how:
- Working together with other children all over Europe, connected with the possibilities of ICT
- Learning together and from each other about one issue
- Learning new ICT - skills
- Creative working, presenting artworks - strenghen everones self-esteem!
- New inputs for intern school projects in every school
Which opportunities/problems does it address to:
- integration of children with special needs
- to show, what they can do, if they are motivated!!!
- new ways of special education
- success brings self-esteem!
Please explain what is unique or special in your project:
- We dare to our special children also to use ICT, to learn about Europe - and the project allows them to do this in their own way.
Describe the results of your project as per today:
- Many beautiful new experiences together
- Great contacts between the partner institutions
- Great motivation of the children to communicate with their partners, to learn about them and to show them, what they do.
- A beautiful website, the children love it!
- Many beautiful artworks made from photos from our trees
- Little European Woods growing up (hopefully :-))
How does it fulfill the users’ needs:
- The whole project is adapted to the special needs of our children
- It supports and strenghens their experiences, their creativity and their self-esteem
How many users interact with your project per month and what are the preferred forms of interaction:
- 11 special schools in Europe
- 11 special teachers connected by ICT-Tools (eTwinning-Portal, website, mail, chat...)
- About 70 students with special needs directly involved, many others are involved too because of the projects in the different schools - interacting mainly with pictures and exchange of their artworks, letters with seeds....
How has it improved the quality of educational and/or training services:
The project demonstrated that it is possible also for children with very special needs to
- work in an European Dimension
- to handle ICT
How has it improved the participation of professionals, children, youth and other stakeholders:
- high motivation of the children, but also the involved teachers
- new ways of learning, new ICT-skills
How does it promote the use of ICT for the educational and cultural development by professionals, children and youth:
It shows the possibilties of using ICT in a very creative and individual way.
Describe how you measure (parameters) these results:
The best parameter is to see the children's enthusiasm while they are working in the different activities of the project!
Their knowledge about the issue (Trees) and about Europe has grown.
A little story for example:
I told my students, that I will take part on a study visit and travel to Finland. One child looked at me and said: "But we don't know anyone in Finland!" ( Because we don't have a partner institution there)
That's a great effort for a child that cannot read, write or count!
What is the full duration of your project:
What lessons can others learn from your project:
Trying new ways brings high motivation for children and teachers!
Nothing is impossible :-)
We are available to help others starting or working on similar projects:
We are available to help others starting or working on similar projects.
13. Background information
Future plans and wish list:
Three of us project-teachers have met at the eTwinning-Conference this year and there we created the next project together - but this will be a surprise!
It would be great, if it would be possible to meet each other in "real life"!
Do you authorize the FMD to the treatment of your personal data?:
I do authorize the FMD to the treatment of my personal data